Understanding Medical Conditions – deepening your knowledge
This module has been specially prepared to help NWUK Instructors be better prepared to manage their clients. The course will help you to:-
- Increase your knowledge of 14 frequently-seen medical conditions
- Better consider the exercise implications and adapt your sessions
- Know when to say NO
Note this is not an Exercise referral qualification and you will not be able to specifically programme for the medical conditions although it can be used as a step towards this if necessary.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Joint replacement
- Simple mechanical back pain
Psychological/Mental Health Conditions
- Diabetes Type 1 and Type 2
What you will learn
- What is the condition?
Signs and symptoms
- How does the condition present?
- How does the condition affect the body?
- What other factors will affect the condition?
- Modifiable: e.g. smoking
- Non-modifiable: e.g. gender, family history
- How else can the condition be managed?
- E.g. medication, physiotherapy, aromatherapy, gentle exercise or physical activity, etc.
Effects of exercise
- How can exercise specifically help manage the condition?
- Really important when motivating the individual to participate!
Long term health risks / pathophysiology
- How will the condition progress?
- Consider modifiable and non-modifiable risk factors
On line study in your own time – Exercise Anywhere certificate and cpd points awarded.